Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Life I Can Save?

I recently read a book recommended to me by my longtime friend Nathan.  He's really a wonderful human being and sometimes he has interesting things to say, or at least can direct you to someone elses interesting things. 
The book he recommended is about donating to charity.  Specifically the who, what when where why and how of charitable donations.  It is called "The Life You Can Save", written by Peter Singer.



There it is!  I signed a pledge today. Through their website To donate at least 1% of my income this year.  Believe me, it's not a lot, and hopefully it will do some good in this world.  Just a lil bit.  :)
I've decided to donate the rest of this years quota to The Central Asia Institute.  I'm not gonna lie, i think their name sounds dodgy- but it's a wonderful charity.  Greg Mortensen ('Stones into Schools') And his team are truly shaping the future of Pakistan and Afghanistan by building schools in remote central asian areas

"Peace and Hope Begin With Education: One Child At A Time

Central Asia Institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization with the mission to promote and support community-based education, especially for girls, in remote regions of northern Pakistan and Afghanistan. "
- Central Asia Institute

I dig it. 

1 comment:

McElroy said...

If everybody rocked 1% we'd be doing pretty good.