Tuesday, September 22, 2009

INDOCTRINATION...BAD?

The other night I was at my first Canucks game of the season.  I am a huge hockey fan and eat, sleep and breathe Canucks for a good part of the year.  In front of us, sat two young boys.  One in an Oilers jersey, one in a Canucks jersey.  Obviously the kid in the Canucks jersey was cuter, and between you and me, looked far more intelligent.  Anyways, what was my point?  Oh yes, indoctrination.  Definition here. I had a little debate with my friend about the jerseys. (Incidentally, we decided afterwards that having this debate in front, or rather, directly behind these kids and their parents AT the game, was rather inapropriate, but that's really here nor there)  So, my friend believes that by putting a child in a jersey, or a onesie displaying team colours/logo such as this little number:

It is not respecting their right to choose which team they actually want to cheer for.  It puts us in a power position of deciding for them who is worthy or their support.  Now although I completely uderstand why in principal this is wrong, I dare you to deny the cute factor of these booties:

and I find it incomparable to indoctrinating other types of beliefs. (religion, politics etc) I was very lucky to have a mother who made it clear that these were my decisions to make in life, and am forever grateful to her for letting me find my own way in those regards.  So here's the bottom line:  My friend is right, but i don't feel like supporting a sports team is in the same category as the bigger questions in life, and furthermore there is a small window for this cute factor and I feel like especially at a very young age, there is probably no harm in dressing them in Canucks jerseys and such, taking a ton of pictures, only to keep them for years so down the road when your child has decided on their own that they loooove the Leafs, (bleck) you can torcher them with said pictures for your enjoyment.   Thoughts on this? Am I weak of will and mind? Corporate Whore?
A few more for the road:


and a whole other debate...

4 comments:

Jess Demaria said...

hmm, I think that yes it is probably wrong to dress your child in something that they might not agree with, right. Just like the people who have there kids standing out on the street protesting this or that, I think thats very wrong. However, sports teams... I don't think that is quite as bad, but I have never taken sports too seriously. This discussion could go in so many directions though. I should not even start.
PS. if Pete and I ever have a kid (boy or girl) I WANT those vans, how cute.

Pony said...

yes but no! this really can't be avoided no matter what you, as a parent, do. by choosing to dress your baby at all you are, arguably, forming their mind to think that being naked all the time is inappropriate. I don't think clothing your child should be seen as impressing upon them that joining a nudist colony later in life is wrong; similarly, I don't think dressing him or her in these incredibly adorable booties should count against mama emma. as long as you encourage your child(ren) to have an open mind and make decisions for themselves, i'm sure they will feel free to choose, later in life, whether or not they would prefer to be red wings fans instead. but you have to draw the line somewhere and that line is clearly supporting the leafs!
Sidenote: the globe and mail website has the following region list from which to choose in deciding where you would like to read news from: a) british columbia b) toronto c) prairies d) ontario e) quebec f) atlantic.

Mr Nate said...

the key here is to make sure you invite obnoxious friends over who support other teams so that Junior gets a plurality of pushy evangelistic sports fans to digest. That way he develops the grain of salt in his ear which is necessary for him to filter those speaking Moron (however Jr. defines that later in life).

Jon said...

I don't think that the sports team you support should be a choice at all, it's a matter of geography. When it is a choice, people invariably choose a team that is successful, and you should forever be branded as a bandwagon jumper. There's a reason there are tons of "Red Sox fans" wandering the streets and not a lot of die-hard Pittsburgh Pirates fans.

I was born and bred in Vancouver, so I'm a Canucks Fan, period, and you shouldn't be able to pick another team just because the Canucks were a terrible team that got killed by the Oilers and Flames for most of my childhood.

You cheer for the home team through thick and thin, and children who are brought up right aren't bandwagon jumpers either :)